Saturday, September 11, 2010

a beautiful mind

I Introduction/General Information about the Book
• Title: A Beautiful Mind

• Author: Sylvia Nasar

• Type of Book: Biography

II Characters

Main Character: John Forbes Nash jr.- he was a mathematician student in Princeton university. He was a brilliant man but he had a weird way of thinking. He believes that everything could be answered like a math problem. His wife is Alicia Larde one of his former students at MIT. He joined the Department of defense where he accepts a secret work involving cryptography/





• I can identify with the main character when: he wrote long mathematical equations on the windows. Because for him, knowing the answer of a thing he doesn’t know is worth doing difficult and hard things.

• Supporting Characters:
Charles Herman - John Nash’s best friend that helped him a lot in many ways.
Alicia Larde - John’s wife and a former student.
William Parcher- He was the one who convined John to join the department of defence.

III Setting
The setting was at New Jersey, United states. There’ he graduated at Princeton University, met his best friend ( Charles herman), got a top secret job because of his knowledge, and found his love of his life, Alicia Larde who helped him cope up.

comment: old movies use lesser number of places compared to the new ones, so we easily recall where the setting is. It’s good because now we know where Princeton University is.

IV Plot:
John Nash studied and graduated at Princeton University.
He worked as a teacher at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) where he found his wife, Alicia Larde, one of his students.
He joined the Department of defence where he accepted a top secret mission. He had a problem, after that unfortunate event, he became paranoid and he also started having hallucinations.
He later started teaching again even though he still had hallucinations, he didn’t let it take control over him.
He won the Nobel Prize in Economics for his outstanding work on game theory.

V Theme
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart

• What is the author trying to say in this story? Is there a moral to this story?

• This book showed me/I learned from this story: I learned that knowledge can make you successful… but that’s only one factor. There are a lot more factors that make a person successful. Perseverance is one of them, striving hard to accomplish your goals. There are no easy ways on getting on top.
• State a problem in the story and how it was solved
Not being able to answer why. So he kept on working hard until he could answer it.

VI Evaluation of the book
•I liked it a lot, I have already watched a lot of times but this time, I really paid attention to it and understood it. I had gained a lot of things in this movie. Its good.

No comments:

Post a Comment